Using Art to Resist Trump!

Wed 3/22/2017

The night that Trump's first Muslim ban went into effect, many of my fellow cartoonists sent out offers over Twitter to make original drawings for people that donated a certain amount (usually around $50) to the ACLU.

This was so cool and inspiring, but I didn't join in because I knew that I wouldn't be able to create a bunch of new art for folks. I am barely keeping up with my current drawing obligations (and actually falling behind on many projects) because of my new parenting duties.

Then, the other day, one of my favorite cartoonists, Eleanor Davis, auctioned off the original art for an amazing poster she drew for this year's TCAF:

Again, I was inspired, but this time I realized that I also have some original art that I could sell! Namely, the remaining original watercolor paintings from my 100 Watercolors project.

So! Starting today, 50% of every watercolor sold will be donated to one of the organizations listed below:

The watercolors cost between $50 and $100. When someone purchases a painting, I will confirm the order via email and then in their reply they can select from one of the organizations listed above. I will lump donations together and donate them at the end of each month!

Since that might be out of many people's price range, I will also donate 100% of the profits made from sales of the 100 Watercolors eBook to the ACLU. It starts at $0.99, but you can pay anything you want above that!

This deal will last for the rest of the Trump presidency, so keep it in mind for later, if you are trying to think of birthday or holiday gifts for friends and family members, etc.

Claire and I are already making monthly donations to the ACLU, NAACP and Planned Parenthood, but hopefully this will allow me to support these important organizations even more, beyond what our limited budget allows. Thanks in advance for anyone who chips in!

Phase 7 #023... FINALLY!

Mon 3/20/2017

Phase 7 #023 is available for online ordering! This issue follows the same format as issue #022, collecting many of my old anthology comics, as well as a new 12-page comic about my love of Harry Potter. You can read an excerpt from that story over on the Phase Seven Comics website.

Originally my goal was to get this issue done back in December, but I am learning that everything takes about 2-3 times longer now that I am providing nine hours a day of childcare for Suzanne. For instance, I can usually mail out an issue of Phase 7 to the subscribers in a week - this time it took me three weeks. I'm fine with the tradeoff - I love spending time with my daughter - but it is a learning process, recalibrating my project estimates.

My trip to Wisconsin was a success! I used my time during the 24-Hour Comic challenge to script out another picture book. It ended up being 52 pages, which I fully wrote out and roughly drew, but I only finished eight pages of inks. It still needs some work...

As with last year's 24-Hour Comic, I don't really know if that "counts" as a 24-Hour Comic, but I'm also at a point where I don't really care. To be perfectly honest, I sat down for this one - my seventeenth! - and had the thought: "I'm getting to old for this." Maybe I will do 24 of them and then call it quits? Or 20? I am placing a higher premium on sleep these days...

Anyway, there was a pretty good turnout at the CCS event as well (thanks to everyone who came out!) and I even got to briefly hang out with my old pals Frunch and Gwyn earlier in the day. I also managed to get out of town before that huge snowstorm slammed the east coast, canceling hundreds of flights! Phew.

Next week I'm heading out to the northeast for a couple of events. First I will be a visiting artist at The Center for Cartoon Studies on March 30th and then on March 31st from Noon to 1pm I'll be giving a talk at the New Hampshire Institute of Art about the creation of my book Basewood. That one is free and open to the public, so if you're in the area, please swing on by!

I'll be home for just a few days after that and then I'm off to the Denver Independent Comic and Art Expo (DiNK) to exhibit the weekend of April 8th and 9th.

Things are getting busy...I guess Spring has sprung!

Wisconsin, Here I Come... Again!

Mon 3/6/2017

On Thursday I'm flying out to Milwaukee, Wisconsin for a couple of comics events.

The first will be a trip to the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee where I will be drawing a 24-Hour Comic (my 17th!) with the members of their student comics club from noon on Friday the 10th to noon on Saturday the 11th. I did this at UWM back in 2015, and it was a lot of fun. Maybe I'll get to see my life-size cartoon self again!

Then, on Sunday the 12th from 6-8pm, I am going run an information session and portfolio day event for The Center for Cartoon Studies as part of my new job as their Director of Academic Outreach. It is free and open to the public, and takes place at Roast Coffee Company. There will be free coffee for attendees!

I'm going to talk about CCS for a bit, answer any questions and then give a lecture about the creation of my book Basewood. At the end I will be doing some portfolio reviews for anyone who is interested in someday attending CCS. There are a limited number of slots, so if you think you want one please RSVP on the event's webpage.

If anyone is in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, it would be great to see you there!

Archives for 2017






Support Isle of Elsi on Patreon!

Mail Chimp

Sign up for the Phase Seven Comics Newsletter!