DRAGONS! Comics and Activities for KIDS!
Oh man, I had a great time at the MoCCA Arts Fest this weekend. It was a great trip for so many reasons. Here, I'll LIST some of those reasons, right here:
- It felt good to get out of White River Junction.
- Claire and I wandered all over New York on Friday. We saw great works of art, ate yummy food, walked a lot and saw a funny movie.
- FRIENDS! I saw so many friends at MoCCA that I only get to see a few times a year. My friends are so cool.
- COMICS!!! I did a ton of trading and ended up with a big bag chock-full of awesome comics.
- I also sold or traded or gave away a bunch of my comics, which is a really great feeling.
- At night, I played a bunch of pinball!
As if all of that wasn't enough, Greg also brought hot-off-the-press copies of DRAGONS! which is the top secret project I have been hinting at for a some time now. Having that book at the show was probably the BEST part of the whole weekend.
DRAGONS! is comics and activity book for KIDS, that Greg and I put together for Free Comic Book Day, which is May 7th this year. It's got a brand new 16-page Isle of Elsi story and all this other cool stuff too:
- A super-playful back cover by Dan Moynihan, who was the FIRST person we asked to be in the book, but somehow we forgot to put his information on the inside. Sorry Dan!
- Dragon-themed endpapers by Jon Chad
- A two-page, multi-level maze by Kaz Strzepek
- Dragon gags by Karen Sneider
- Dragon-libs by MK Reed and Jonathan Hill
- A dragon shadow puppet activity page by Claire Sanders
- Six ways to draw a dragon by Marek Bennett
- A water dragon connect-the-dot by Maris Wicks
- A dragon poem by my sister, Galen Longstreth, illustrated by Aron Nels Steinke
- Francis the dragon comic strips by Joey Alison Sayers
- A two-page dragon picture find by Aaron Renier
- Four "Dragons of the World" pages, written by me and illustrated by Andrice Arp, Nate Beaty, JP Coovert and Alexis Fredrick-Frost.
- Nogard the Dragon's recommended dragon reading!
- Did I mention the stunning back cover by Dan Moynihan???
Also, it's FREE. Doesn't that sound EPIC??? Well, I think it is. It was so fun handing it out to kids this weekend and watching their faces light up. Comics for kids! This is how it should be.
Greg and I will have copies of DRAGONS! at the Stumptown Comics Fest in Portland, Oregon next weekend (April 16th and 17th), and I will take a big stack of them back with me to Vermont. All Phase 7 subscribers will get a copy this summer when I send out P7 #016. Greg will probably have some at other shows this year, but you should also check your local comics shop on Free Comic Book Day to see if they'll have it!
Okay, I better wrap this up. Lynda Barry is coming to CCS tomorrow, and I get to do one day of her writing workshop before I have to hit the road again for Stumptown. I hope I'll get to see some of you in PDX!