Getting Back in the Groove

Tue 8/12/2008

Well, I'm FINALLY done relettering my comics in French for the upcoming PHASE 7 book. I had to work all weekend long, and I even pulled an all-nighter on Sunday to get it done, but it was worth it, just to have it finished. It got pretty rough there towards the end, after a whole month of lettering (204 pages!) but I know it will look way better than a handwriting font, so I'm still glad I did it!

Monday I took it pretty easy, catching up on some errands and to-do list items (including painting the current theme for my 100 Watercolors challenge). I was in bed and asleep by 10pm.

Then TODAY, I started a new schedule! I think this one is going to work really well. I'm experimenting with some new theories for this one. It goes like this!

  • 7:30am - 8:00am - wake up, stretch back & hand, make tea
  • 8:00am - 9:00am - "creative hour" (scripting new work)
  • 9:00am - 11:00am - Basewood penciling
  • 11:00am - 1:00pm - Walker Bean coloring
  • 1:00pm - 3:00pm - lunch break (email, run errands)
  • 3:00pm - 5:00pm - Basewood inking
  • 5:00pm - 7:00pm - Walker Bean coloring
  • 7:00pm - 10:00pm - dinner break (email, watch movie, etc.)
  • 10:00pm - Midnight - "wind down" (misc. projects, reading, etc.)

It gets in 4 hours of work on Basewood and 4 hours of work in on Walker Bean (which will end in December, freeing up a whole 8 hours for Basewood!) Also, if you look at the way it's set up, I PENCIL (which is super intense) and then I color to sort of relax. Then there is a break, then I INK (which is not as bad as penciling, but still takes concentration) and then color again, which, at the end of an 8 hour work session, is about all I can stand!

Also, I'm intentionally leaving that last 5 hours of the day pretty loose, so that if I want to just hang out or work on other stuff, I will be able to do that. (Though I suspect I'll still end up working on Basewood during a lot of that time, since there's not much else to do around here!)

I won't be able to do this schedule EVERY day, as I will be teaching the Professional Practices course this semester on Wednesday mornings, and I will want to sit in on some of the 1st-year classes (especially figure drawing and Steve Bissette's history of comics class!) But I will use it as much as I can.

I'm also thinking I might start taking Sunday "off" (??!) I have so many other neglected projects (the 2nd cardboard chair, my sketchbook,, etc. etc.) it would be cool to have one day where I could work on that stuff. I suspect it would also clear my mind a bit for all the other stuff I have to do during the week.

I'm heading to Seattle next week for a few days to visit my folks and to go to my friend Ryan's wedding. So I've got one week to break in this new schedule. We'll see how it goes!

5 comments on this entry

You never stop Alec ! Don't work to quickly, I want this beard to grow very long ! ha ha

Max Aug13

the schedule is great... wish I could use it. Mine is a bit tougher with family and work. basically I get 8pm till I pass out to work on comics (and the occasional lunch hour). Hope the new schedule works out great for ya.

Yeah, I hear you Andy. I am really lucky to be able to draw this much. Hang in there man and just draw what you can!

Alec. Aug17


Why must you torture us with your masochistic plots?


gcb Aug20

Some people find them USEFUL Gabe!

Alec. Aug20

Post your comment here:

West Coast Week
I'm in Seattle! And since White River Junction is such a small town, it actually took some doing, ..
Beard Reactions
Ha ha, well, thanks to everyone who wrote comments here and over on my Flickr account. It seems ..